Grandma Gatewood Birthday Bash is Now Virtual
It is with appreciation to all those who registered for Grandma Gatewood Legacy Hike and with concern for your health and wellbeing that we have decided to host a virtual Grandma Gatewood Birthday Bash on Monday, October 25 in place of the in-person gathering at the Stone House Urban Winery.
According to the CDC COVID Data Tracker, the level of community transmission in Washington County is listed as High. At the time of our decision, the COVID positivity rate was 10.5%, the highest in the state and the vaccination rate was below 50%.
No one is more disappointed than we are but as Prime Time for Women is an organization committed to improving the health and wellbeing of women, we don’t want to be at cross purposes with our mission. But women in their prime, like Grandma Gatewood, are not deterred by challenges. We forge ahead and find ways around them! We have lived long enough to have learned resilience and we are not afraid of pivoting to achieve our goals!
With that in mind, please join us on Zoom to celebrate Emma “Grandma” Gatewood’s birthday and legacy! Our virtual celebration will kick off at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, October 25Th. Together we will pay tribute to the strength of a remarkable woman, a woman who raised 11 children, survived horrific domestic violence, found healing in nature, and became the first woman to solo hike all 2050 miles of the Appalachian Trail!
Hear from Lisa Dougherty, Executive Director of CASA, meet Ben Montgomery, author of Grandma Gatewood’s Walk, and watch the trailer for “Trail Magic: The Grandma Gatewood Story.” Compete in the first ever Grandma Gatewood Trivia Contest and win prizes and bragging rights! Best of all share your favorite hiking stories! At the end of the evening, we will award The Golden Hiking Poles to the woman who raised the most funds to support PTFW and CASA.
Virtual Birthday Bash Celebration Agenda
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M Music video of Cool & The Gang Celebration
- Charissa Hipp, Supervisor of Visitor Center at the Appalachian Trail Conservancy will host Grandma Gatewood Trivia Contest
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd1uqeL78bw 4:12 Show trailer of Trail Magic
- Have Lisa Dougherty talk about Domestic Violence
- Ben Montgomery will award a copy of his book to the winner of the Trivia Contest
- Sing Happy Birthday with Ben Montgomery in honor of his mother’s great-aunt
- Have Year of Hike participants share their stories- attendees vote on best story.
- Email wine coupon, coffee coupon, to every a attendee, ice cream cone
- Grandma Gatewood Golden Hiking Poles to most funds raised.